Sunday, July 02, 2006

Words of friendship

We don't always fully appreciate the wonderful gift we have in a friend.

This was my conclusion on Friday after I'd had the opportunity to interview a friend for Vatican Radio and finished feeling immensely proud of his knowledge, depth of understanding and insight. It occurred to me that, very often, as friends, conversation is on a massive range of topics, but often, not on the friend's own area of expertise. There is no particular reason for this. More often than not it's only because a get-together is not for business but for relaxation and so there is no effort made to 'talk shop'.

Yet, on Friday, I had an opportunity to do just that: 'talk shop' and I came away the richer. In fact, not only did I enjoy the interview, I valued it so much that I copied it onto CD and listened to it in the privacy of my room.

Isn't it wonderful when the words of a friend lead to prayer? Isn't that what friendship is about?

God bless,
Sr. Janet